Saturday, April 27, 2013

Tales of Hunter, the accidental pet

As Hunter's "guardians" until our daughter and her family come back and take him home, I feel it is necessary for him to know where he is and how to get around and find his way back should the need arise. So to that end I try to walk him around the whole neighborhood. Many of the families here have pets, the majority are dogs, and they all make themselves known as we pass by. Hunter will usually not respond to the barks or growls from those behind a fence, but occasionally we will encounter another dog on a leash with its owner or even one that runs up to the edge of their yard barking loudly making it known we are about to trespass into their territory.  Some are overly friendly, while others are not friendly at all. One of those is Brutus. Brutus was abandoned by his owners and taken in by a family in the neighborhood on a temporary basis, until a permanent home could be found. That was awhile ago and the family he is with has just kept him as their own. He is also an accidental pet.  Enjoy.


Hunter meets Mitzy and Bitzy

Today Grandma and I went for a walk down past her friend Joan's house. She has two dogs. Both just barked at me while Grandma and Joan talked. I just ignored them. They just wanted to make fun of me and I was in too good of a mood to let that happen. The weather was nice and Grandma was home all day today. We played and she petted me and we played and she petted me and we played and she petted me until she finally said we needed to walk. Fine by me, I was almost played and petted out anyway. I like walking in the neighborhood. Most of the dogs we see are inside fences. Some come out into the yards but for the most part it seems I'm one of the few who get "walked". As Grandma was talking I heard her say "... he just seems mean. I don't like walking by his house. I check to make sure he is on the lead before I take Hunter by there. Unfortunately we have to go by there to go almost anywhere in the neighborhood. Besides he always chases my car into the driveway. I'm afraid I might hit him." "I know, but he is really quite timid. If you speak loudly and firmly he backs right down." said Joan. "I have had to do that a couple of times when I take the kids for a walk." " That would be scary!" said Grandma. " His previous owners weren't the best. They even abandoned him. Just up and left him in the back yard one day when they moved away. The Jones took him in after a couple of days, when it became apparent they weren't coming back. It was them or the pound." What? Brutus? Abandoned? Who would do that? No wonder he seems so grumpy all the time. Always barking at us or chasing cars. He probably wonders where his family is. I know where mine are and its hard enough, but to not know and not know if they were coming back would be awful. " Well he still frightens me, but I guess its better knowing why he is so aggressive. Thanks Joan, but we must move on. Lots of walking to do today. Bye." " Bye! and goodbye to you too Hunter!" said Joan. So on we went. All the while my mind was racing. Brutus was as accidental pet too. How funny is that? I was so preoccupied with thoughts of Brutus I got blindsided by not one but two yapping hair balls.

 Just as we turned the corner these two long haired chihuahuas came running toward us, FAST!
  "Hi there! You're Hunter right? We're Mitzy and Bitzy. We're twins!" They said in unison. "We heard you were new..." "... And walked the neighborhood with your grandma..."...wanted to meet you...""... And say hi!" " so..HI!" Argh! I had to swing my head back and forth between them to see which one was talking! They kept jumping up and down, up and down! It was too much! Squeaky voices talking real fast, finishing each others sentences. Grandma take me away, please!  We finally got started back down the way we came and they followed us. We walked faster and they kept coming. Where were their parents? They kept talking the whole time! Didn't they need to take a breath? We turned the corner onto our street and as I looked back to see if we were safe, they stopped and said "Bye Hunter! See you next time!" and turned and went back to their house. See me next time I thought. Not if I see you first you won't. As we walked home I heard someone snicker. It was coming from grandma's friend Joan's yard. Her dogs were laughing at me. " Hi Hunter" they said in high pitched squeaky voices," I see you met Mitzy and Bitzy. Those girls are a trip." The bigger one said. "Yeah a trip." Said the smaller one laughing. " They have set their sights on you my friend and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. You are fresh meat and all they have to do is get their mom to come outside and talk to your grandma while she's walking you and you will be a captive audience. Since you're on a leash and all. They think they are so cute and the world revolves around them and that EVERYONE wants to know about it." More laughter erupted from the two of them. As I pull grandma down the road toward our house. I hear one of them say " I kind of feel sorry for him." "Not me. " Said the other "I'm just glad it's not us!"

I'm in such a hurry to get back to the house I don't even notice Brutus. He is the last thing on my mind. All I want is to get away from the "Twins".  Once inside and my mind has calmed a bit I start to wonder. Could Brutus really be an accidental pet too? Could he and I have something in common? Could we be friends? I'm not sure but I know one thing. It has to be easier to deal with Brutus than Mitzy and Bitzy. Either way I have some planning to do.


Hunter getting ready to go out for a walk. Waiting impatiently of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment