Saturday, April 13, 2013

Tales of Hunter, the accidental pet.
 
I have worked at the same place for 19 years. It started out as a  semi-temporary thing to help with the bills after we built our house. I wanted to buy new furniture and in order to do that I needed a job. My plan was to work a few months, save some money, get new stuff and then start with the school district or something so I could have the same time off as the kids. I wanted better stuff. Stuff I did't have to worry about being ruined by movers because this was our last move. So I took my time and got what I wanted and with the upgrade in furniture you also have to upgrade in accessories. So I did things up right. Got new stuff all around. I then developed a habit of getting more new stuff, so I kept working. Well then life happened and time passed and a couple years ago it was time to get new stuff again. This time the kids were grown and gone and it was just Charlie and me. So we got better stuff and once again I was very particular about what I got to go with it. I wanted a certain look and spent many a shopping trip looking for just the right thing. Hence the pillow. It was not expensive, nor was it very unique but it did fill what seemed to me, to be a gaping hole in my decor. Enjoy.
 
 
Hunter and the pillow
I've been with grandma and grandaddy almost 2 months now and we have a nice routine. I stopped sleeping in the crate after about a week and when I realized I was staying here instead of going to my family I decided to make myself at home. Grandaddy has his chair and Grandma sits on the love seat so I took the couch. It's nice and soft and long so I can stretch out when I need to. Grandma got a blanket of some sort to put on it to protect it. I don't intend to mess it up but I do have big feet and long nails. I also drool a little when I sleep. Kind of gross, but I can't help it. I have a favorite pillow I like to lay on. It's one of Grandma's favorites too I think. She keeps taking it away and fussing about it. I told you she can be bossy just like Coco. I keep sneaking it back and she keeps taking it away. There really is nothing special about it but it reminds me of my mom and dad. They would sit on the couch and use this pillow when they were here and I can still smell their scent on it. It's comforting to me to know they were here and will know where to come and get me when they come back. I can also smell YaYa and Elyse. I smell her mostly on the rug and carpet. She crawled around a lot and drooled too.
 
Anyway, Grandma and I go through this routine almost every day. She takes the pillow away, I take it back. She puts the pillow up, I go get it. She hides the pillo, I find it. It would be funny if it wasn't so serious. It's not like I'm asking for a lot. One morning Grandma comes down early and catches me sleeping on the pillow. "Eww! Dog drool on my good pillow. Hunter, what am I going to do with you?" She exclaimed. I'm not sure what the problem is. Mom and dad didn't mind if we layed on their pillows. We could get on the couch and love seat, lay on their blankets and throws and even get on the beds. But here I can only stay on the floor or the couch. It's kind of annoying. I'm being good and not messing anything up. Why can't I have this one little pillow?
 
Not too long after I got busted with the pillow Grandma comes downstairs early again and this time she has a bed pillow with her. " I thought you might have my good pillow again, so I'm going to give you one just for you" She said. "It's one your mom and dad slept on when they were here. Hopefully that will satisfy your need for their scent and you won't keep messing up my good pillow." Yay! You finally figured it out. I don't know how but I'm glad you did. "My friend Lynn at work raises German shepherds and I was telling her about your pillow fetish and she told me about the scent thing and how that was probably why you liked that pillow so much. She suggested something else that had their scent on it would work just as well and since I wasn't going to have your mom send me dirty t- shirts in the mail, I decided to try this. I hope this will do." Oh yes ! This will do nicely. It has a much stronger scent than the other one. I lay on the new pillow and take a deep breath. Ahh! Almost like home. Grandma takes the other pillow and starts to put it on the love seat. I look at her, then the pillow, then at her again. "What? You want this pillow too? No, you have that pillow now." She says as she puts the pillow on the love seat. But Grandma! I give her my best sad puppy dog eyes. Please? "No I said." I place my head on her lap. " No. That's one of my good pillows that I searched all over for so it would match my new furniture. You can not have it." She stated firmly. I wag my tail and nudge her hand. "No." I scoot up closer to her and gently lean against her leg giving her the sweetest look I have. "CRAP! OK! Fine, just get off me. How about I put it on the back of the couch, that way you can see it but not mess it up? Will that do?" She exclaimed. Yes, yes it will. "Can't believe I let him have the pillow. I got him a better pillow but he still wanted the other one and I let him have it. I can't believe it. How did that happen?" She mutters to herself as she leaves for work . I know. It was the puppy dog eyes. They work every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment