Saturday, May 4, 2013

Tales of Hunter, the accidental pet


                                                                                                             
Too many times is life people make decisions based on less than sound reasons. Sometimes there is an unintended consequence. An abandoned animal. The amount of time, patience and money required can become overwhelming.Unfortunately it happens too often. The story of Brutus is not one that I need to tell. The family that has him takes good care of him. They do tend to let him off his lead so he can roam around the neighborhood or chase cars quite often it seems. That or he is a magician and his lead is like the magic handcuffs used  on stage. Hunter seemed to be fascinated with him and always tried to go over and visit whenever we were out. That is until they had this altercation and then things changed and both became very wary of each other. We walk on the opposite side of the street and they don't even make eye contact. I guess its a situation of who is the dominate one and who is submissive. So far Hunter has been the alpha dog and that's OK with me. Enjoy.



Hunter talks to Brutus


Ever since I heard Brutus's story it has weighed on my mind. Maybe he is scared and lonely waiting for his family to return just like me. Well, not exactly like me because I have Grandma and Grandaddy, so I'm not lonely. But I am waiting for my family to come back and maybe he is too. Maybe that's why he chases cars. He's looking for them. Maybe he's not mean, just upset. Maybe I can help. I at least have to try, right? Now I need a plan.

When we go out for our walk today, I will talk to Brutus about being an accidental pet. Maybe it will make him feel better knowing he isn't the only one. It makes me feel better. He just glares at us as we pass by and it makes me sad. When grandma takes me out I'm going to drag her across the street to the house with the fenced yard and when she unclasps my leash I'm going to make a run for it. I think she would understand. Grandma likes helping people and making them feel better.


Time sure is dragging by. It seems like Grandma will never get home. She went in early this morning so she should come home early this afternoon. Oh man...Come on already!
Finally Grandma comes home from work. "Hunter! Ready for a walk?" Yes, yes I am. "It is such a nice day today. I'm sorry you had to stay inside until I got home. Lets see how far we can walk today." So out we go. I need to be cool about this. I look for Brutus. He's on the porch as usual. I have to make my sure we go by his house on our way. I pull grandma across the street. She resists and pulls me back to our side of the road. I pull harder. She pulls harder. Wow, those exercises are working. I pull again and she finally gives in. " OK, OK, we'll go there. " Yay! Grandma pushes open the gate and unclasps my leash. I take off like a shot! "Brutus! Brutus! I want to tell you something!" "Hunter come back here!" Yells Grandma. "Brutus, I'm an accidental pet too!" I say as I run toward him. "Hunter! " "Brutus I know how you feel!" "Hunter, you come back here right now!" Grandma says angrily. I just ignore her and keep running toward the porch. Growling Brutus jumps up and charges at me. "Oh no! Hunter come back!" Grandma says. Brutus jumps on me and starts snapping his jaws and baring his teeth. Yikes! This may have been a mistake! I stop short and growl and snap as well. Grandma is running toward us and I am afraid Brutus might bite her. I need to keep her safe so I back away and run to her. "Hunter, what were you thinking? Come here right now!" Grandma yells. "Listen to your grandma, boy. I have nothing to say to you, I want nothing to do with you. You are not like me. Go away!" Brutus says as he walks back to his porch. Grandma clips the leash on and she pulls me toward our house. I could see she was upset and scared. " Hunter! What were you doing? You could have been hurt!" I know, I know. " You almost gave me a heart attack! What is the matter with you?!" I just thought if I could talk to him I could help him. I guess not.

The next day as grandaddy and I walked past where Brutus lives I slow down. I see him on the porch and he sees me. He gets up and walks down a couple of steps. He stares at me and I stare at him. We just look at each other and Grandaddy just waits. Grandma filled him in on all the excitement when he got home later that evening. We wait about a minute, Brutus turns and walks back up onto the porch and lays down facing away from me. We say nothing. " Come on Hunter. Let's go." Says Grandaddy.  I don't look back at Brutus. I just walk.
Hunter and Charlie out for a walk.
 
 
Something has caught his attention.


No comments:

Post a Comment