Friday, March 15, 2013

Then it happened. Mom started crying and dad got upset. They would talk to one person and then another and another until finally the last one came out. He must have been important. Granddaddy stood with his arms crossed and a scary look on his face and Grandma kept chasing Elyse. Mom and Dad came over and spoke to Granddaddy who got mad and all I could do was watch. I heard Mom say "...won't let him on the plane. They gave out incorrect information and now he has to go as freight." I don't know what that is but it sounded bad. Mom just looked at me and cried more. I didn't know what to do. Dad said " ...earliest they can get him out is Thursday and it will cost $2000.” The way he said it made me think that was a lot. Then Mom said "What are we supposed to do? Leave him here at the airport!?" What! No! Wait! Finally Granddaddy said “ok, don't worry about it we can take him for now. If we need to come back we can. Grandma has all week off from work just in case something came up." Phew! That was a close one!

I like Grandma and Granddaddy. I haven't been to their house before but that's ok. Mom said “You really will take him? I know you aren't pet people". "Of course" Granddaddy said. “It won’t be for long." Mom and Dad were not happy but needed to get on the plane themselves. Grandma picked up Elyse and hugged her tight, gave her lots of kisses and handed her to Granddaddy. He did the same. Mom and dad took me outside and tried to explain what was going on but they just hugged me and cried. I was very sad. I finally got them back and now they were leaving me again. Granddaddy got my stuff together and put it and me in his car then he and grandma hugged everyone one last time. My family was leaving me again. I was heartbroken. I didn't understand. I just lay down on the seat and closed my eyes.

We got in very late that night and I was exhausted. Granddaddy put my crate upstairs and I got in it and stayed. I didn't want to eat, or play. I was sad. My family was gone and I was someplace else. Everyday Grandma would take me out for walks and pet me and hug me. Granddaddy did too but not as much. It made me feel a little better. Each day I could hear them talking on the phone trying to find a way to get me to my family. Sometimes Mom and Grandma would talk on the computer and I could see them. Mom always said she loved me and Elyse would call my name. Dad would say he missed me. It was very nice to hear, but it also made me sad. I wanted to be with them.

One day while talking on the computer I heard Mom crying again. She was saying how they couldn't afford the cargo fees to bring me over because I was so big. I would need a special crate and it would be a long roundabout trip. It could take a couple of days just to get there and they hadn't found a place to live yet. I then heard her say" I'll put the word out that we need someone to take him and give him a good home. You guys have been great keeping him these past few weeks but I can't ask you to continue. He's our dog and we will find him a nice new family. I'll let you know as soon as we get a response. I hate to lose him but I don't know what else to do." WHAT! NO! I don't want a new family! I want my old family! My heart was pounding in my chest so hard I was afraid it would jump out of it. I looked at Grandma and then at Granddaddy. Do something! Please! Help me! Please!

I live with Grandma and Granddaddy now. They have a nice house and there is a new fence in the backyard so I can go out and play. We get along great and they take good care of me. When Grandma said “don’t worry about it, we will not let you lose your pet because the airline gave you false information. It was inexcusable and unacceptable but not your fault. We will take care of him for you. He's a good dog and very little trouble." I knew I had been saved! I was so happy and so relieved! Mom told me to be a good dog for Grandma and Granddaddy. Treat them like I would treat her and dad and not to worry, they would come back for me.

We talk on the computer often and Elyse is getting so big! She still calls my name and now she blows me kisses. Mom and dad smile at me and tell me they miss me. I don't get as sad as I used to. Grandma is fun, but she can be bossy just like Coco. Sometimes she shares her treats with me and sometimes we go on adventures. I can hardly wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment