Saturday, March 30, 2013

Hunter settles in

Too many times in life we expect things to be a certain way and in my life things had been a certain way for a few years. I had a routine that was flexible and easily changeable to allow me to do what I needed to do when I needed to do it. The only thing that was set was my work schedule and that varied depending on the needs of my job. If I needed to work in the morning and run errands later I could or vice versa.  My days off were not set so I could make appointments and not have to lose time at work or use vacation or sick hours to go. With an elderly parent that I help take care of that is important. I could stay up late and work on emails or play games on the iPad. I could get up early and do my workout routine. I could fit most anything I needed to do into my day. It was my time. It revolved around me. Not anymore. Now it revolves around Hunter. His schedule is flexible and easily changeable to allow him to do what he needs to do when he needs to do it. His time, not yours and he isn't shy about letting you know either.

Since he has become a part of our family we have had to make a few adjustments. He has too, but mostly me and Charlie. Actually I'd say we made 90% of the adjustments. I am afraid  that number will rise in the future. Actually I'm sure it will.  Enjoy.


Hunter settles in

At my mom and dad's house they were always up early and would put me or Coco out first and feed the other one then switch us. Mom would get Elyse up and ready for daycare and then soon after that all of them would be gone for the day. They would come home in the evening and repeat the process spending more time with me and Coco. We would play with each other or with Elyse. She couldn't play a lot because she was so little and couldn't walk or talk much. Coco and I would be very careful around her and Coco would lie next to her bed and keep an eye on her when she slept. We had a routine and it was easy to follow. Everyone knew what they were supposed to do. Here at grandma's it's different. Sometimes she gets up very early and sometimes she gets up late. Sometimes grandaddy would be home all day working and sometimes he would be "on the road" all day. There was no routine that I could see. It was all jumbled up. Since there was no routine if I needed to go "out" I needed to let them know. I would be in the crate and couldn't get out by myself. The first few mornings I almost didn't make it to the "spot" by the mailbox. I needed to figure out a better way. That night I decided I wouldn't get into the crate. I wouldn't even go up the stairs. "Come on Hunter time for bed. Grandma has to get up early in the morning." She said. Nope, I'm not doing it. " let's go Hunter. Up." Said grandaddy. I sat down in the floor at the bottom of the stairs. "Now look. I'm not playing with you, dog. Let's go!" Grandaddy said. " Grab his harness and he will have to follow you" said grandma " and I will open the crate." "OK here goes." Grandaddy tugs and pulls and I just lay there. "Man he's heavy." Said grandaddy. " want me to help?" Asks grandma. "No. I have a feeling we are fighting a losing battle. We leave him out while we are at work so let's try it for the night and see what happens." " Well, OK if you're sure." Grandma said. " I'm sure I'm not dragging a 70lb dog up the stairs." Said grandaddy. Success! I got to sleep on the couch that night. The next morning. I walk up the stairs into their room. I go to granddaddy's side and paw at him. He doesn't move. I blow in his face. He doesn't move. I move to grandmas side and do the same. She finally wakes up and with a lot of grumbling gets up to take me out. It's cold and dark outside. Fortunately there are a few street lamps to light the way. I would love to go for a long walk but grandma complains about how cold and early it is and how she needed another couple hours of sleep before she goes to work so I give in and we go inside. She puts out fresh food and water then goes back to bed for a little more sleep. After I eat a bit I jump on the couch and go over in my mind the events of the morning. Things went pretty well. I went out in time and didn't have to rush. Had a nice meal. Hmm. I think I have found my new routine. Now, about this pillow...




No comments:

Post a Comment