Friday, March 8, 2013

Tales of Hunter, the Accidental Pet


Hi, my name is Hunter and I am a dog. I don't know what kind of dog I am, just that I'm a BIG one.  I remember Mom saying I was Weimaraner/mix.  She wanted a Pit Bull like Dad's dog Coco.  I guess I'm supposed to be one but I sure don't look like it.  I'm tall and long and my tail can clean off a coffee table in a single swoop.  Dad is in the Army and Mom is a probation officer, whatever that means.  They have a pup named Elyse, she's a girl and real small but that's ok. I like her. She lets me lick her face and she gives me kisses.

 When my family moved I had to go to the kennel for awhile. It was alright and I made some friends but really missed my family. I was there for a whole month.  Coco got to ride in the car with them and take a trip. Since she's a pit bull and couldn't go overseas with us she went to stay with Yaya and Papa. They have 2 dogs already but were able to fit Coco right in.  I hope it works out because she can be very bossy!

I was so happy when my family came back to get me.  Mom just hugged and hugged me.  Dad was doing paperwork so I could get on the plane with them but when he was done he squeezed me tight and petted me a lot.  I had to get all kinds of shots and have a chip put in.  What that is or why I need it I don't know but it must be important.  It didn't hurt or anything but it was sort of scary. 

When we got outside I found Elyse, Grandma, Granddaddy and Yaya all waiting for me. That was a surprise. I was so happy!  I ran all around them and jumped and wagged my tail.  I didn't want to get in the car, I wanted to play.  But we had to go because we needed to get ready for the big trip the next day.  I was a little scared but I knew Mom and Dad would take care of me.  I also knew Coco was jealous because she couldn’t go and that made me feel a little better.  The hotel room was nice but I had trouble going to sleep.  Too excited I guess.

The next morning we got up and packed the cars with all of our stuff…even the crate.  I didn't like the crate but knew it was how I was riding in the plane.  I wanted to be with my family and the rules said I had to be in a crate.  We stopped for breakfast and finally got on the way to the airport.  It was a long drive.  I rode in the back and just slept most of the way.

When we got close I looked out the window and saw all the big planes.  There were lots and lots of people, more than I had ever seen before.  It was frightening.  I sort of liked the crate better after that.  Mom and Dad, Grandma and Granddaddy and Yaya all started taking stuff out of the cars and putting them on carts.  They were piling stuff up pretty high.  They even put me on one.  I sat very still hoping nothing would fall.  Finally the cars were empty and Yaya gave hugs and kisses all around and drove away.  Dad and Granddaddy pushed carts inside and Mom and Grandma carried bags and Elyse. 

Boy was that a big place!  Big and loud. I made myself as small as I could and waited.  Elyse would point and say "Hunter" sometime and stick her hand in to pet me.  Grandma kept walking her around and chasing after her.  I decided I would let her do that.  I was safer in the crate.

Then something went very wrong...

No comments:

Post a Comment