Saturday, July 6, 2013

Hunter, Tinkerbell, Mitzy and Bitzy

Tales of Hunter, the accidental pet

As a military family we had to learn how to get along with people and start fresh each time we moved. We had to get out there and look around and meet new people. We had to see and be seen. That was my approach with Hunter. He needed to see and be seen. I wanted him to learn the neighborhood and for them to know him. I wanted them to know we now had a dog. If only for a little while. That sounds strange because it has only been a little while but feels like forever. Enjoy!


   Hunter, Tinkerbell, Mitzy and Bitzy

After a while people in the neighborhood got used to seeing me and grandma or granddaddy walking around. Some would speak and some would wave. Word got out to all the other dogs that I was new in the area and most were friendly and wanted to play with me. But grandma being new to the pet parent business wouldn't let me go where I wanted all the time and tried to keep me in check when I would run and meet someone new. She wasn't usually successful. I am a big dog after all.

One day as we passed Brutus's house and turned the corner these two little long haired Chihuahuas  came at me pretty fast. Both yelling in high pitched voices that grated on my nerves. "Hi there! You're Hunter right? We're Mitzy and Bitzy. We're twins!" They said in unison. "We heard you were new..." "... and walked the neighborhood with your grandma..."...wanted to meet you...""... and say hi!" " so..HI!" Argh! I had to swing my head back and forth between them to see which one was talking! They kept jumping up and down, up and down! It was too much! Squeaky voices talking real fast, finishing each others sentences . Grandma take me away, please! I can't stand it! Finally we got started back down the way we came and they followed us. I walked faster and they walked faster. They just  kept coming, kept talking, kept jumping. Where were their parents?! We turned the corner onto our street and as I looked back to see if we were safe, they stopped and said together  "Bye Hunter! See you next time!" and turned and went back to their house. See me next time? Not if I see you first you won't. As we walked home I heard someone snicker. It was coming from grandma's friend Joan's yard. Her dogs were laughing at me. " Hi Hunter!" they said together in high pitched squeaky voices.   " I see you met Mitzy and Bitzy. Those girls are a trip." The bigger one said. "Yeah a trip." Said the smaller one laughing. "I didn't think it was funny, why are you laughing?" I said. "They have set their sights on you my friend and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy." Said the big one "You are fresh meat and all they have to do is get their mom to come outside and talk to your grandma while she's walking you and you will be a captive audience. Since you're on a leash and all." Oh no, can't let that happen. " They think they are so cute and the world revolves around them and that EVERYONE wants to know about it." More laughter erupted from the two of them. I pulled grandma down the road toward our house as I hear one of them say " I kind of feel sorry for him." "Not me. " Said the other "I'm just glad it's not us!"

After my encounter with " The Twins" I tried to avoid going that way on our walks. It was hard because we had to pass their house to go almost anywhere in the neighborhood. We started walking down into the cul de sacs and meeting new people and pets. Once again most were friendly would say hi or wave. Things were going pretty well until one day a car pulled into a driveway down the street. We were going into the garage when I hear "Tinkerbell ! You come back here right now missy!" "In a minute daddy!" Oh great, another one. Why? Why does it have to be another one? All of a sudden there was a little brown fur ball careening up the driveway at me. "Ma'am . I'm sorry, she's really gentle and wouldn't hurt anybody. She's just excited that's all. She loves to meet new dogs all the time." " It's OK" said grandma " I just hope I can keep Hunter from inadvertently hurting her." "Yes ma'am. My wife and I've seen you guys out walking and it looks like he's walking you instead of you walking him." "It feels that way sometimes too!" I look down and all I see is hair. " Hi, I'm Tinkerbell . I'm a Yorkie. What are you? " 0h great. I said groaning.." I'm Hunter and I'm, ( hum, what do I say?) I'm a pit bull." Chuckling,  the little fur ball says "No, really." " Uh yea, really." " No you're not. My brothers are pit bulls and you don't even come close to looking like them. So what are you?" Sighing loudly, "My mom said I was a wiemeriner/ mix with some pit in there somewhere. " " Cool" she said. Humph! " Thanks". Why was I even out here talking to her? Girls are nosey, yappy, and bossy. They are sooo annoying and can't seem to leave a guy alone. Man, I just want to go inside. Come on grandma I want a treat. " Uh oh , looks like someone s ready for  his treat. It was nice talking you Tom. And you too, Tinkerbell. Say bye Hunter" Really? Fine. "Bye!" Finally! Can we go inside now?  Grandma pats my head and says "Good job Hunter. You were a good boy. You can have two treats." Alright! Two treats! Don't know what I did or why it was worth two treats but I'll take it. Now, time for a nap.


A napping dog is a good dog. A napping Hunter is a treat for grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment